Every Step Counts!
As you start your Knit Fit journey, I would like to offer the following tips which I have found to be helpful:
- Wear comfortable footwear. I prefer sneakers when I walk indoors at the mall or around an indoor track. When outside on a walking path or in the park, I either wear sneakers or walking shoes.
- Find a smooth level route. Our town has a village green surrounded by sidewalk which works well for Knit Fit walks. If you are near a walking path, a park or have access to a high school track, you are in business!
- Invite a friend. Please double your pleasure and walk with a friend. Having a companion helps you stick to your plan. I am a believer in the African proverb which states “If you want to walk faster, walk alone. If you want to walk far, walk with a friend.”
- Use circular needles. I strongly recommend bamboo circular needles. I like to start out with larger needles, 10 or 10 1/2 and 16 inches in length.
- Choose worsted or bulky weight yarn. Light or bright colored yarns are easier to see and work up quickly.
- Keep your project simple. Easy hat projects are ideal for Knit Fit walks. Hats work up quickly and are perfect for charity knitting.
- Cast on before you walk. I like to cast on and knit a few rows while I finish my morning coffee before I head out with my Knit Fit project.
- Find your own rhythm. It is your journey. Remember that Knit Fit walking is designed for your enjoyment and wellness.
- Remember to breathe. Please take time to check your posture and relax your shoulders.
Congrats! You are headed in the right direction!